Lost Boys Alumni come from all corners of the Globe

Lost Boys | School of Visual Effects has welcomed students from many different countries including Canada, USA, Mexico, Brazil, Spain, Italy, Greece, Germany, Belgium, UK, Singapore, Lebanon, Thailand, Iceland, Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, Portugal, Jamaica, Australia, Taiwan, India and more.

Any Questions?

We are here for you. Let us know your questions and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Get More Info

You will need a Study Visa/Permit and possibly a Temporary Resident Visa, depending on which country you are coming from.

Everyone needs a Study Visa for any program of study in Canada longer than six months. Please refer to the Canadian Immigration website before applying to find out your requirements.

The Canadian Consulate is quite thorough in examining Study Permit requests, and while most students coming to Canada will have the intent to try to get a Work Permit and stay in Canada, there are specific guidelines in how you approach this when interviewing for your Study Permit.

Studying in Canada

*Many student will also be required to have Medical Insurance for the duration of studies in Canada.

More information on applying can be found on the next tab.

Students from outside of Canada wishing to attend Lost Boys | School of Visual Effects will require a Student Visa issued by Canada Immigration.

There is a nominal fee of $150 for the Student Authorization/Visa which is paid to Citizen and Immigration Canada. When you apply for your visa, you will likely require the following for submission:

  1. A letter of acceptance for your program of study.
  2. Evidence of financial support during your study period, i.e., a notarized letter or affidavit from your bank or parents, or student loan documents.
  3. Evidence of intentions to return to your country of origin after your studies are complete.
  4. Evidence of prepaid tuition fees, your tuition receipt or a certified cheque or bank draft payable to the school.
  5. Proof of citizenship, i.e., passport or birth certificate.
  6. Proof of citizenship, i.e., passport or birth certificate.
  7. Include the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number O19274961822 on your study permit application.

Some countries may also require you to have a medical, police check or other documents before your visa is approved.

Failure to submit all of these documents and evidences may result in your visa being rejected, often with little chance of appeal. Before applying for your visa, please read all details carefully on the official Citizen and Immigration Canada website Guide 5269 - Applying for a Study Permit Outside Canada. For more details, visit the sites listed below.

Studying in Canada: Study Permits- WHO can apply?
Studying in Canada: Study Permits- Other Documents?
Apply for a Canadian Study Permit with Form IMM 1294
What documents will I need?

If you have concerns regarding you eligibility for a study permit, it may be beneficial to obtain an immigration consultant. There are several here in Vancouver or you could locate one in your home town. As they are government certified and specialize in this area, they often have better success with acceptance rates.

If you are requiring a study visa for entry into Canada to study with Lost Boys, you may want to consult with a certified Canadian immigration consultant.

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants are regulated by ICCRC (Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council) to be authorized representatives recognized by the Canadian government.

Here is a list of Immigration Consultants that students have used in the past and recommended to us.



Great T



Fast track immigration - Carlos Alaniz

Should you decide to use another consultant please consider that only Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants are regulated by ICCRC (Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council) to be authorized representatives recognized by the Canadian government. ICCRC

Work off campus

Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies.

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:

during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

have a valid study permit, be a full-time student, be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

Use the self-assessment tool to see if you are eligible to work off campus without a work permit.

For more information visit: Work while you study in Canada

Working Holiday

Young people between the ages of 18-35 may wish to consider participation in International Youth Programs such as the Working Holiday Visa, a Young Professional placement or an international co-op work position. Under these programs, students from countries with reciprocal agreements with Canada may work in Canada temporarily to gain international cultural and professional experience. Where there is no such agreement, young people may still be able to participate through an organization recognized by International Experience Canada.
More information on the programs and participating countries and recognized organizations is available at: Study and Work in Canada

We are very knowledgeable about the companies hiring, and help you to determine your strengths and goals in order to produce a demo reel that could get you hired in Canada or elsewhere.

We will use our extensive network of industry connections to make personal recommendations for you. It is not easy and there are no guarantees – you have to work hard to make your demo reel, learn about the industry, and practice your interviewing skills.

After you have completed the program. There are three steps to gaining employment in Canada:

1) find a company who will offer you a job,
2) have the company complete a Job Offer Validation with the local Human Resources division of the government, and
3) be approved for a Work Permit which typically be for a duration of one year (renewable).

For more information please visit: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp

English Options

If you are not confident in your English skills there are many ESL schools in Vancouver. You could spend a month prior to your studies brushing up your English skills and enjoying the city.

These are just a few of the schools available. Lost Boys | School of Visual Effects not affiliated with any of them nor does specifically endorse any particular school.

Pacific Language Institute
Canadian College of English Language