The Compositing Artist Certificate is an accelerated 5 month program specialised in the craft of rotoscoping, digital painting, keying, and integration for the Film and Television Industries.
In collaboration with top tier Visual Effects & Television production studios and taught by VFX veteran: Fortunato Frattasio, this program will provide an entry into some of the most sought-after studios in the industry.
We produce our visual effects within the the award winning NUKE X from The Foundry.
Scheduled classes provide technical knowledge required to master portfolio projects. Each week students are provided with lectures, demonstrations, and at desk help to learn key concepts and further assist with technical and artistic development.
Every week the class gathers for screenings, supervised by a seasoned Senior Compositor, where finished and work-in-progress projects are presented and discussed. Students complete assigned projects.
Learn more about the Program Lead
*Please note, we are currently working closely with Industry to refine the final curriculum design - Content Subject to Updates
- Overview of the Program
- Project Relevant Technique Lectures
- Course 1 – Introduction to Nuke
- Course 2 – Before We Begin – Setting up your first Script
- Course 3 – Nuke Interface & Operation
- Course 4 – Intro to Rotoscoping
- Course 5 – Intro to Tracking
- Exercises – Basic Rotoscoping
- Project 1 – Full Body Rotoscoping
- Exercises – Tracking 1, 2, 4 and Planar
- Course 6 – Introduction to Paint
- Exercise – Paint
- Exercise – Warping & Morphing
- Project 2 – Marker Removal
- Project 3 – Rod Removal
- Course 7 – Intro to Keying and Keyers
- Exercise – Using Keying techniques
- Project 4 – Green Screen Composite.
- Project 5 – Advanced Keying
- Course 8 – Intro to Integration
- Exercises – Integration
- Project 6 – Digital Makeup
- Project 7 – Articulate Rotoscoping
- Weekly Screenings
- Career Prep & Artist Marketing
- Job Placement Assistance
Instructional Delivery Methods
- On-site delivery – supervised and unsupervised classroom and studio access
- Project-Based Learning, a technique which enables the students to explore and grasp concepts and methods within a simulated production pipeline
- Extensive training library and online resources
- Visiting artists & guest speakers
- Industry studio tours (Montreal)
Career Preparation & Placement
During the program students are assisted in the creation of an industry relevant demo reel, website/LinkedIn profile, and resume. Each student will also receive career counselling which includes recruiting information, interview and networking tips and job placement assistance. We maintain a growing directory of studios, industry forums, and placement resources in Canada, the USA and internationally.
Our Alumni join us from a diverse range of experiences. They all began with a desire to follow their dreams. They all took the leap of faith that led to a creatively fulfilling career. We’d like to share a little more about them in hopes of inspiring you to do the same.
They believed they could do it and so should you!
Recent Lost Boys Alumni Credits
Compositing Artist Program Advisory Committee
Every year Lost Boys | School of Visual Effects seeks out the top advisers to ensure we are meeting industry needs and stay current with our program development.
The purpose of the committee is to ensure programs are current and relevant to the industry. We meet with the Program Advisory Committee during the programs year and invite them to review our program and facility. Program advisers identify current and future industry trends and shifts in the skills and knowledge graduates need to meet employer requirements. They advise on the need for new programs and participate in their development and quality assurance. Committee members also assist in identifying industry resources, such as guest speakers, studios connections and practicum placement or employment opportunities. Program Advisory Committee members are another important liaison between Lost Boys, the local industry and visual effects community at large. Our advisers are one of our greatest assets and we highly value their opinions.
We are privileged to have them share their knowledge and insight with us!