In the Press - Vancouver Magazine!
Lost Boys | School of Visual Effects is located in Vancouver, CanadaStudents find themselves in a culturally rich and diverse group of people in one of the most naturally beautiful places in the world, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Vancouver is the largest city in the province of British Columbia. Surrounded by water on three sides and views of breath taking mountains, it a beautiful place to live or visit. With it's very mild climate and spectacular natural scenery, Vancouver has ranked highly as one of the most desired cities to live in.
Vancouver is truly one of the world's most multicultural cities, with a very ethnically diverse population. The top 10 languages spoken in Vancouver are English, Chinese, Punjabi, German, Tagalog (Filipino), French, Italian, Spanish, Korean, and Hindi.
Vancouver also has a rich Visual Effects Community. Recently enjoying a rapid state of expansion the local Visual Effects Industry employs over 3,000 people and counting! Our local industry includes world class studios such as Digital Domain, MPC, Rhythm & Hues, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Method Studios and Image Engine to name a few. It's a great time to be starting a career in Visual Effects!
*Alumni return to present techniques from production and share stories from the Studios.
Our Online CommunitiesHere are a some resources that may aid you in your career research.
- Lost Boys VFX Blog - A VFX-based knowledge repository for demos, breakdowns and job information.
- Lost Boys | School of VFX - Facebook Page - A more casual look at the Lost Boys experience. Follow us for behind the scenes photos and updates!
- Lost Boys | School of VFX - LinkedIn University Page - Check out School Announcements, Activities, and connect with our Alumni
- Lost Boys | Online Training - Access exclusive visual effects training content
- VFX Vancouver - Job Board -This is a great site for VFX specific job searches. Proudly created and maintained by us!
Industry - Links
- SPARK - Awesome events and Career Fairs
- Vancouver's Siggraph Chapter - For everything related to computer graphics
- Vancouver's Houdini User's Group - VHUG - Meetings every other month for discussing everything Houdini
- Side Effects - Creators of the amazing Houdini
- Vancouver's Visual Effects Meet-Up - Presentations and Networking
- Vancouver's CG Meet-Up - Presentations, Networking, and Wings Night
- Vancouver's Nuke User Group - Presentations and Networking
- The Foundry - Source of Nuke, Mari, Modo and other amazing tools.
Vancouver is located on the mainland of North America, in the south west corner of British Columbia, which is the westernmost of Canada's ten provinces.
Greater Vancouver is made up of 21 municipalities that occupy 2,930 square kilometers on and around the Fraser River delta. The City of Vancouver is one of them.
Lost Boys school is located in the heart or Kensington, with it's back windows facing Trout Lake Park. Kensington - Cedar Cottage, is one of the most ethnically diverse neighbourhoods in east Vancouver .
Kensington has a wide social and demographic mix, with an impressive range of ethnic groups who contribute richly to Vancouver's cultural diversity. This area also has a thriving colony of artists as well as several very good ethnic restaurants. Overall it is a very creative neighborhood.
Community & Culture
Over the last 125 years, Vancouver has become home to a broad range of ethnic groups, who have brought with them a vibrant and distinct assemblage of cuisines, heritage, belief systems & art.
Although these cultures have retained a sense of their original identity, their influence has shaped Vancouver into a thriving, international city with a unique vibe. Get to know some of the influential forces behind this culturally rich, global metropolis.
The Vancouver and the surrounding areas offers many options for entertainment including film, live theatre and music, a wide variety of dining choices, and a long list of outdoor activities. For more info check out the links below: